Sunday, May 19, 2013

My phone makes me a sucky mom

It's true. My kids, yes both of them, are totally aware when I'm splitting my attention between them and my phone. I have so much information at my fingertips to aid my parenting by answering my questions, diagnosing illnesses, connecting with other moms and giving me great ideas of fun things I do and make, yet I AM A BETTER MOM WITHOUT ALL THAT. 

One reason I bring my phone everywhere is to take pictures. Family history right? Well my pictures go to Instagram which I use for documentation/scrapbooking, and then after I post I can't help but keep checking to see who saw and comments on it! And it doesn't help that I link my Instagram to fb, that's double the likes and comments I like checking. Because its fun to see who sees how awesome your kids are and how happy you are. Ha! you feel me? But it's also a big distraction and doesn't really matter in the end! 

I'd like I implement tech ciestas in our household. Everything off at least once a day. 

Kids know, and they act accordingly. 

We wonder why when kids have all the toys in the room, they drop everything and go straight for our cells phones... Well because WE LOVe oUr TOys! They see it glued to our hands and face and pick up its value to us. Monkey see monkey do! 

I told myself I wanted to disconnect. And I feel hypocritical as I sit here and blog (at least I waited till both babies were sleeping) but I feel like my mind can rest easier if I let it play out here. I love technology, but everything has a time and place. 

So here's to recommitting to reconnecting with the present. Being with those physically with you, sharing air and space. Being present. Not looking back because you're not going that way. (That's a whole other post for another nap time) and paying something we can all afford...ATTENTION! 

1 comment:

  1. Amen sista.
    I've had this on my mind recently too. I NEED to disconnect, or just do it LESS, but it's so hard! First step is recognizing it though right? I have limited myself to fb/iphone only when I am immobile (feeding, or putting the kids down for sleep) and occasional computer time. Its a constant struggle, thats for sure!

    LOVE your blog Cari, keep the (naptime) posts coming! :)

    ReplyDelete