Friday, May 24, 2013

What Not to Wear (baby edition)

I just want to start this out with thanking any and everyone who has ever given my kids clothes. We truly appreciate them and I hope this post doesn't imply otherwise. That being said, this post is about baby clothes and how much I hate them. And this is all my own OPINION in which you are entitled to agree or disagree (beauty of a blog right?)

Babies are humans and deserve to be dressed like a human(if we must dress them at all). It hurts me to see what these helpless beings are paraded around in. Here's my main issues


  • Wording.  They're clothes don't need to explain their life. unnecessary and dumb. 
  • Characters. leave them for the TV, my child is not a walking advertisement, rarely I find a cute animal or classic character I'm okay with
  • Prints. Too abstract. Usually a hit or miss. I like the classic stripes, polkadots and just plain! 
  • Bells and Whistles. Bows, Ruffles, Darts, Lace, Rhinestones, Pockets. Headbands. Enuff already!
  • Expensive. Seriously why do baby clothes cost the same if not more than adult clothes, its 1/4 the material?? Scam
Pjs are the exception, there is some flexibility there.  Everyone young and old has some sort of ridiculous looking article of clothing that they have and sleep in, and that's your business) 

What I'm getting at is babies are cute in the bare minimal because that is their means of survival.  

I'm sure I'm not alone and it's pretty natural that I want my kids style to reflect my own...  I have to look at them all day gosh darnit. Haha jk. No but forreal though. When I do go shopping, is this this too much to ask? I want  
  • Simplicity
  • Affordability 
  • Comfort
  • Ease
  • Functionality  
example: Jeggings I think were the best thing to happen to baby clothes in a LONG time.  And what makes a plain V neck onesie so darn hard to find other than at a high end expensive store online??


I'm pretty fortunate to live in a climate that does not require full clothing if any at all for a majority of the year, but I know other mothers and fathers feel my pain.


I hope this post does not ever deter or discourage anyone who is ever inclined to give us baby clothes because I am indeed so grateful for it all! I am also grateful to be able to protect and clothe my kids so please don't take this the wrong way.  And I'm not by any means judging you or your kids for what they wear. This is not meant to be snobbish. I'd love to hear others opinions on why they chose what they do for thier kids wear and if they care! I do find fashion an interesting lens to view life in general, hence the reasoning behind this post in the first place. 

I don't like to think of myself as very materialistic but if society is going to require us to clothe ourselves and children, I believe we should be able to at least make it enjoyable!

Now don't go scrutinize every pic I post of my kids to see what they're wearing!

3 comments:

  1. I think you should create your own baby clothing line. I would fully support it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have a blog!! wohoo new follower. I totally agree with everything you have said! I like to keep my baby in just a diaper to be honest and when we leave the house, leggins and a shirt. simple and cute! and I would support your own baby line too! you are an amazing seamstress!

    ReplyDelete