Thursday, May 30, 2013

Let's do this


Today I did something I knew I would eventually do but wish I didn't. I read a story about this last month and it made me sick to my stomach! This is how babies die. 

Ok now you're dying to know what happened right?

And so it began, I'm a little scattered as I rushed out the door with baby, over night bag, and dinner disbursed evenly to keep balance as I scoot toddler out and down the stairs to the car. We're all in and on time with no tears, so far so good!  I'm on my way to my in laws house where I will be staying for 2 weeks and looking after our disabled cousin.

I pull up to the drive way, put the car in park, turn, look at the load I'm about to transfer into the house and make a split second game plan of what to pick up first. I turn off the car throw my keys in my bag in the drivers seat, open the door stand up, hit the unlock button so I can get the kids out and close the door. (I almost wanted to say the door fell shut to make myself feel better because it does that all the time, but it didn't, I closed it. I go to open back door...LOCKED

Both my babies are locked in my car in Hawaii in one of the hottest hours of the day with all the windows up. No spare key exists nor AAA. Thank goodness I was at the house and had access to a phone because mine is in the car of course. I call my husband. Straight up, no hello, just "DES I LOCKED THE KIDS IN THE CAR I NEED YOUR HELP." Click.



Yeah it feels like that ^^ (thanks kate for the clip haha!)

So what am I doing in the mean time?? Watching in horror as my almost 4 month old (who sweats like a beast as it is) screaming and making it worse! The toddler is still a little clueless and okay. Her cousins came out and are talking to her through the window. If I walked away she'd get mad and cry because she thought I was leaving her. Well we got her to try and unlock the door from her carseat but she her fingers weren't strong enough. Here I am yelling to her "I'll give you a pop if you open the door!!!" (Otter pops are my most powerful bargaining chip this week)  And of course the one time its ok for her to try and climb out her car seat, she wont even try. I now decide its a good time to start praying. One cousin (age 5) got his crow bar and offered to pry the door open and said he thought it would work. I declined the offer and said lets wait and see what Dez could come up with.

As I'm calling Des to see where he is and if I should call the fire department, after the first ring I see this big black SUV swing the corner (towing a trailer of picnic tables) and barrel straight toward us. They stop and jump out Dez, one of his boys and his boy's dad, all charge the car with some straight up theft tools and get down to business.

Apparently the conversation after I called des to tell him what happened was along the lines of
Des- "my wife locked the kids in the car!"
Uncle- "Get the F*** in the car! Lets do this!"(I'm glad they're on our team)


And this they did. After prying open the door with a wedge they stuck a bent rod through the crack and fished until they hit the unlock button. Mid operation a lot of faith in my husbands parenting was restored when I heard him say "forget the car! Break em if we haft to!" Because this car, our murdered out Chrysler 300 is one of his cherished children.

As soon as I heard that lock free we flew the doors open and grabbed the kids. Both were totally fine besides a little sweaty and confused.

I'd been paranoid about when this would happen. I probably increased my chances of it happening simply by the law of attraction. haha but our unlock button is not the most reliable and takes a few pushes before it actually does its job. I rushed and look where it got me. I'm so glad everything was okay. My babies are safe and the car not damaged, Dez didn't give me a rough time about it and I now have two spare keys for when this DOESN'T happen in the future.


Then we went inside and made sock puppets. The end

3 comments:

  1. oh my goodness my heart was racing just reading this! how scary! glad everyone is ok <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my goodness...I was trying to read so fast so that I made sure that nothing serious happened. Glad it worked out alright.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha!! oooh I'm sorry to laugh, but that was a great story, my favorite about Des and the boys in the SUV, the convo, etc. So glad everyone was alright!

    ReplyDelete